Thursday, January 12, 2012

Oil Change?

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac with a 4.0L V6 enigine, with about 62,000 miles on it. I recently changed my oil using a K%26amp;N high flow oil filter and Quaker State full synthetic motor oil. My question is, how long can I go in between changes, or is the 3,000 mile maxim still true?Oil Change?
I think the 3,000 miles is a scam to make people go more often and spend more money.



I'd wait till about 5,000 miles, but keep checking it yourself to make sure it's not running low, if it is, just add a little more oil yourself.
i believe the synthetic oils last longer. i would ask aroundOil Change?
No, usually you can at least double the time to change your oil. Check the label on the synthetic to be sure. Synthetic has much better properties than regular oil.
That's kind of catch 22 isn't it,

you want extended change interval's but you are using a high flow filter.

High flow is for hot rods, premium high filtration is for extended run time.Oil Change?
I have the same engine same filter and I use the same oil. I go 5000 miles between oil chabges and I have 250,000 miles on my truck. I have used that oil andK %26amp;N fillter since I bought the truck new in 95
I change oil every 10,000 and the filter every 5,000. I have well over 200.000 on my GMC with no problems. I use Mobil one and a A/C filter.
Once your car is out of warranty, you may want to go by the oil change intervals allowed by the synthetic oil manufacturer. Note however that they assume your engine is in good condition and running properly so that excess contaminants are not building up in the oil. Also, they assume your oil filter is rated to the number of miles between oil changes. Sometimes a manufacturer's power train warranty is good to 100,000 miles, so make sure you don't have to obey your manufacturer's oil change interval to maintain your warranty. Mobil One's new extended life synthetic oil is rated for 15,000 mile oil changes if you really want to go the limit between changes. I've used Mobil One for 27 years in all my cars, and currently go 8,000 miles between changes.
Yes, that is for your own protection. It's either 3,000 miles or 30 days, whichever comes first.
i run 10 to 12 thousand with synthetic,it depends on you vehicle use as well.

i have done oil sample testing and not seen any extra wear

my s10 4cylinder has over 350,000 kms now
3k maxim is still good
The 3000 miles recommendation is based on typical use of regular oil.

Unless you are drag racing or doing a similar abuse on your vehicle, you can be very confident that the synthetic oil you are using can go to 10,000 miles without any oil degradation.



The oil itself could go for 50,000 miles, on optimum conditions. (fewer start ups, no towing, etc. ) but oil contamination, instead of oil degradation, would be a concern.)



You also should be aware that, If your vehicle is burning some oil, you must maintain the oil level by adding some oil when needed.



My preference is to use non-synthetic oil with frequent changes, especially on used vehicles like yours.
3000 to 4000.

above 5000 you are on Your own



when You let go too much time, be twin oil changes, a film of sludge is building inside the engine(oil gallery)

so, at any moment a piece of that sludge will get loose and bye ,bye engine.



I have rebuild many(thousand of )engines gas and diesel, and many times gas engines have that ink naughty sludge. that come from the oil overdue.



be careful also with the synthetic, because the natural oil wear out into sludge but

synthetic it just collapse



diesel oil change goes at 10,000 to 12,000 but is different type of engine( sort of self lubricated fuel.)
With the advances in technology, 3000 miles/ 3 months is somewhat going away on the newer vehicles. Better oils, filters, vehicles, etc. make for more efficient vehicles. My vehicle has a sensor that tells me when it is time to change the oil. Basically, it monitors the oil and the filter, and lets me know when it is needed.



Diesals can usually go 7000 miles on an oil change, but I don't think that applies to you.



It all really depends on your driving habits. If you drive a lot of highway miles, you will get more miles out of your oil. If you sit in bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic everyday, you will get less miles out of your oil.



But, if you're vehicle doesn't have any of the new stuff out there, the 3000 mile rule isn't a bad one to follow. You may spend a little extra on oil and filters throughout the year, but you may save money on repairs down the road as well.



*Added* I have never made it past 4500 miles without the sensor telling me I need to change my oil. I do a lot of highway driving.
on synthetic oil, you can go easily 10,000 miles.

Now, stop using quaker state, as it, like penzoil still have parrafin wax in it. you dont want your engine gummed up.

use castrol or valvoline, you won't have any problems.

there's no reason to use the k%26amp;n oil filter, its benefits will not help you at all. Go and get a Motorcraft FL-820a, it is a purolator Pure One at a $3.99 price. It's a very high quality filter. Stay away from Fram.
usually around 7500 for a good quality synthetic.i dont trust quaker state cause theyre conventional oil would break down at 1500 miles,leaving 1500 miles of damage to your engine between oil changes.what breaks down is the lubricating properties of the oil itself.as the oil breaks down it also becomes acidic and will start to eat your piston rings etc. synthetis have a more uniform protective layer will provides a better barrier against damage.but as to how well quaker state works,im doubtful.i only pour castrol,mobil,or penzoil ( which uses a different formulation than quaker ) in my engine. a ranger i sold because i was tired of buying transmissions from racing it had 182k miles on it,original.and engine was still running strong.why do ya think i was able to break tranny's so easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment