Thursday, January 12, 2012

What is the safest way to raise your car for an oil change?

I heard that using the spare tire jack is not safe to do an oil change.What is the safest way to raise your car for an oil change?
It is not unless you use two jack stands, even this is scary. Drive the vehicle up on approved ramps and block rear tiresWhat is the safest way to raise your car for an oil change?
The most frequent cause of death is the failure to stabilize a vehicle before climbing underneath it.



Jacks are never a safe way to support a vehicle. I know multiple people who have died relying on a jack to support their vehicle. I know someone who died last fall even. If you raise a vehicle, you must use a pair of jack stands on firm level ground or preferably pavement before climbing under the vehicle. I like to give the vehicle a good push in varying directions. I would rather it fall and do massive damage to my car than kill me. Ramps do the job, but I don't like them.



Also, always chock the tires to block the vehicle from moving in either direction. I know someone else who was on a slight slope and their truck ran over them and killed them. Wheel chocks would have saved his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment