Thursday, January 19, 2012

Would a need for an oil change prompt a check engive light to come on?

The Check Engine Light on my 2003 Chevy Cavalier has come on. Funnily enough, my boyfriend just reminded me that I haven't had an oil change in 6 months - would this cause the light to go on?Would a need for an oil change prompt a check engive light to come on?
If it was a Ford (Tarus,Tempo, or that "general style"), - yes it would mean that it needed an oil change, and the oil pickup has blocked because sludge has blocked it,-- which in turn means that probably the engine needs new bearings and pump!



However you have a Chev., -- so it means that a big hammer should be hitting you on the head (with a message attached saying "put oil in")!!! Driving without oil will put you right up there "equal with the Ford" in a hurry!



First of all you do not "gauge oil changes" by months! Some people drive 10,000 miles in 3 months, - some drive further!

This is why you have an odometer on dash, (instead of a calendar)! Also some people gauge how bad their mileage is by how often they fill it (described in weeks)!! This is "chancy" at the best!



I change my oil more or less by the amount of miles I drive! Not by how many months it was in, - I don't even change it by season (as I live in "South"), - and I don't have to worry about "thick oil" on sub-zero mornings! I just change it every 3,000- miles (approx)-- and check about once a week to see that it is not "down"on oil level! It now has 235,000 miles on it , - so I check a little more often! (That is prertty good for an american car)!!Would a need for an oil change prompt a check engive light to come on?
no it defenitely would not.the cel does not count mileage!!Would a need for an oil change prompt a check engive light to come on?
its differnt on diff cars. some do and some dont. hav U red the owners manual ??
no it wont you need take it to shop that can read the code thats causing check engine light to come on
  • walkie talkie
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment